RE: Beater economics

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 14:35:20 EDT

My spousal-unit had a job for a few years where 20,000 miles/year on the
car were normal. She now works here too, but in a different department.
We're a hair over 4 miles from the "office".

I like Ray's idea. I predict many more bikes of all flavors on the road
as fuel prices rise. They sprout up all over the place here on campus
when the weather is nice. There is an instructor here who rides an
interesting little Aprilia Scarabeo scooter.

Regarding auctions, good deals can be found if you know what you're
looking for. I got lucky and picked up a nice '95 Stratus for my parents
for $500 at auction knowing it only had 2nd gear. I took the trans out
for a bench rebuild/update for $1200 and they now have a reasonably nice
car for a smidge less than $2000. I basically traded my time for $$$ on
that deal. For $800 at auction, I found a red 2.5/413 '87 Daytona for
my sister when she was in school. She had it for about 5 reasonably
trouble-free years before she went to Basic.

I think you make a good point regarding the uncertainties of a used
beater. I've always thought "better the devil you know than the devil
you don't". Perhaps there is a more efficient vehicle for which you
already understand some of those "devils". If I had to unload any of my
daily drivers, I'd have to look for something with which I already had
some familiarity. In my case, FWD Mopar 2.2/2.5s. These are usually
plentiful at auctions around here. I sold my last "extra" one to Josh. I
miss it sometimes...>sniff<.

I understand that prices are extremely variable based on location, but
around these parts, the monthly fuel bill plus an initial lump sum of
$1500 would enable me to fund a modest lease and maybe have some cash
left for a little fuel. Of course, there are many downsides to a lease
so it may be totally inapplicable to your circumstance (for instance,
mileage restrictions). However it might achieve the primary objective of
reliability - at least in the short term of 2-3 years. This option would
be last on my list, but it would be there.

There's probably no "good" answer, only least worse answers.