RE: Daimler confims talks to dump Chrysler

From: James Johnson (sixpackdak@execulink.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 17:38:04 EDT

You may be right with that, but I work in the heavy diesel industry and the
hoops the diesel truck manufacturers are having to jump through right now
to meet the new emission standards may not make diesel engines as
attractive for the next little while. I haven't looked to see if the 2007
standards apply to cars, but I *have* heard that VW has done away with
small car diesel engines here in Canada, but I haven't heard why. I'd wager
it has something to do with not being able to meet the new 2007 diesel
emission standards. The next step in the tightening of the diesel emission
standards will be even tougher to meet. It will be interesting to see how
diesel fairs because of it.