Re: OT: Oil company profits

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 17:42:54 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> I do consider your statements to be misconceptions,

Fair enough, I'll consider myself corrected.

Here's what I know. I've been keeping track of my fuel usage since the
start of 2004. February 7, 2004 I filled up for $0.645 per liter ($2.44
per gallon). September 8, 2005 it was $1.077 per liter ($4.07 per
gallon). I will grant you that taxes are mind-bogglingly high, but they
did not increase by 67% in a year and a half. Incidentally, neither did
my salary. Today I saw $1.049 per liter, which is the earliest in the
year it's been that high. This does not bode well for the summer season.

I'm just trying to save myself some money, but today I'm feeling
particularly annoyed and took it out on the list. My understanding of
supply and demand is pretty simplistic, but all I'm really trying to
accomplish is reducing my own demand for over-priced fuel.