Re: 318/360 transmission stuff

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2007 - 17:57:44 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

> So I remember that there are balance differences between the 318
> (internal) and 360 (external). I forget where that significant
> difference is though.

They will use different flex plates and torque converters.

> If I don't end up doing a complete powertrain swap (I'm keeping an eye
> out for a 4BT with a manual trans from a step van), I may end up with a
> 46RH or RE from a 360. If I'm not mistaken I'd need to run a 318
> torque converter or flex plate no matter what with my 318, right?

That should be it yeah - the 318 flex plate and torque converter would
need to be used - however when I was looking for a tranny for Christine,
every salvage yard I talked to and every parts interchange said the Ram
transmissions and Dakota/Durango transmissions were NOT interchangeable.
  But no one could tell me why. I ran into an issue with the A-500's
between the 2wd and 4x4 versions of my trucks, the 2wd - while its the
same tranny, and the tailshafts are swappable. the bellhousing was
totally different. ( I have a pic somewhere) It may be that how teh
starter or motor mounts bolt up wth the Ram trans - differes from the
Dakota trans - I have not compared them yet so I can't tell you for sure.

> With all the metal in my trans pan, than means I'll need a 318 torque
> converter too, even if I've got a good clean one on the donor
> transmission if it originally mated to a 360. Is there a way around
> this? I hope my memory on the topic is mistaken.

I doubt it - I'm pretty sure the torque converter would have a differnt
bolt pattern which onl fits the flex plate it was designed to work with.
  You run a 318, you'll need a 318 flexplate which means a 318
torqueconverter.

> Looking to spend smart, minimal money here, and for the price of a good
> rebuild on my 44RE, I get very close to the price of a manual swap.
> I've also got a 46RH in unknown condition and found a local
> well-behaved 46RE for $650 with torque converter....

You have a 46RH already?? if you end up not using that tranny, let me
know what you want for it. I still need a 46RH for my 95 Dakota.

Get a freaking rose tattoo and deal with it...
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine