Quality time with Dakota (100K maintenance, a beginning)

From: Zito, James A \(GE Infra, Energy\) (james.zito@ge.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 00:52:33 EDT

Ok guys, truck turned 100k over the weekend driving to NJ for work, got home today and it almost felt like spring (have to love this global warming horse sh!t), so I figured lets get some of the stuff done that I should do @ 100k. My plan is full tune up, and complete fluid change (diff, engine, tranny). Also replace the front O2 sensor that I posted about the other day.

So I go get my PB blaster, damn no spray cap, must have something with a female cap...ah this can of gunk engine brite looks like a female. Crawl under and try to squirt it, that gunk cap must have been a virgin since it was a little too small, but I got it squirted down. Stick the slotted O2 sensor socket on, breaker bar, 1' of pipe, and oh my God it turns....... Get it out, amputate it's connector and hook that up to the new generic Bosch one, a little more never seize, and pop it back in.

OK let's move on to the tranny... where is my double nutted 17mm head bolt? We don't need no steenking 17mm allen wrenches............... AH got it, crawl under pop the drain plug. Hey while I'm might as well dump the engine oil too. OK now since I hate fighting to make tranny oil flow uphill into the tranny, let's remove the console and shifter. Ok that's out, tranny not draining, let's pour some clean extra tranny oil down to flush anything else out. Great, now for the 2 qts, well slightly less than 2qts, rest ended up on the driveway since the pan wasn't in the right spot. Toss some oil dry down. Let's put the shifter back in oh hell where did the little plastic bit go....damnit it probably fell in. PANIC.........ok slightly calmer now. Don't see it in the cab, don't see it under the truck...let's pull the "shift tower" (FSM calls it that) don't see it in the tranny, wonder if it landed in the oil pan under the truck...nope. Let's look under from the other side....oh yes, forgot about the fact th
at I have a split level driveway.....got it. OK lets put this back together......damn Dodge sure likes to use more than enough fasteners...ok how come I can only find 2 gears??? Pull it apart, try again still no joy. Read the FSM....well glance at it oh they put the shift lever into the "tower" first gee that seemed to work better.....wait only 4 gears.

Wonder if Terrible Tom knows anything aboot manual trannies, not really but while conversing with him via yahoo, read the FSM a little closer "be sure the 'offset' faces the passenger side." "Offset?" Looked symmetric to me let's see.... not much of an "offset" but sure 'nuff there is one....ahh I can back up again.

BTW did I mention that I had neglected to procure 5W-30 before starting this fiasco so I had to pedal to the Advance to get a jug.......in the DARK!!!

Tune up and diffy end of next week........work till then.......

Jim