Re: Fuel pump, or Splice of Death?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2007 - 17:35:50 EDT

dml@bleazard.net wrote:

> Is there any *easy* way to determine the difference between a dead fuel pump,
> and the dreaded wiring splice issue? This is on my '95. I get code 55
> whenever I check the codes. That's the only code, but it seems that the
> computer is alive at least. All the other electrical stuff appears to be
> working, as far as I can tell. I'm guessing the fuel pump is gone, but I'd
> rather not be replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.
>
> It's been having problems starting over the past couple of weeks. First it
> took a lot of cranking to get it going. Then it wouldn't idle for about the
> first 30 seconds after starting. This morning, it wouldn't start at all and I
> had to steal Norah's truck to get to work. (Figures, I just filled up the tank
> last night two miles away from home.) I couldn't detect any pressure at the
> fuel pressure test port. I don't have a gauge, but I pushed in the pin and it
> went "pft" and no fuel came out. I don't hear the pump either. What's weird
> is even with the way it's been running, it's been getting awesome MPG lately.
> It seems like maybe it just hasn't been pumping as much fuel as it should even
> when it was running, does that make any sense?
>
> I know I can check for power at the pump connector once I get the bed off, but
> I was hoping there was an easier way to tell the difference before I get that
> far in to it.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

mmmmm damn Jason that sucks. I suppose I should go re-read the post in
the FAQ about the splice of death... but eh - I won't hehe.

Ok I will.. brb..

ok I read it again...

Now I don't know for positive (maybe bernd can chime in on this one) but
that splice issue, could very well make the truck act like a dead fuel
pump. I think the ECM needs to get power in order for the fuel pump
relays to switch over and pressurize. It would be a good idea to see if
you are getting power to the ECM before you do anything else. May not
be a bad idea anyway, to cut into that wire harness to see what the
condition of the splice is.

As you already know, if it is the fuel pump, best to pull the bed.
Especially since you have a full tank of fuel.

To recap, check ECM for power, splice for corosion... then check fuel
pump wire harness for power. last - replace pump. (you might be able to
get to the pump wire harness without pulling the bed... I can't remember
if you can or not because Christine has the three inch body lift, and I
*can* easily get to the top of the tank.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine