RE: Steering Box questions 98 - 99

From: Hop * (hopsdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 20:59:04 EDT

Well I found my leak.. Looks like the pressure line has a pin hole in it.
Maybe this is the reason for the binding.. $17 buxs and i'll find out
tomorrow.
I went ahead and picked up another new box while i was at the parts store.
The one I bought has a lifetime warranty so I'm gonna fix the hose and if it
still binds i'll throw the new box in.
Hope it works out.
--Hop

>From: "Marc W. Grobe" <mgrobe@leghorncomputing.com>
>To: <dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net>
>Subject: RE: DML: Steering Box questions 98 - 99
>Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:06:08 -0500
>

>Now who are you going to believe?? Me or that incorrect FSM?!? :P
>
>Like I said my Jeep FSM (98) states to use Mopar Power Steering Fluid
>and not ATF. Of course old gives away to new and here is a link to a
>TSB that states ATF+4 (MS9602) supplants previous Power Steering fluids
>in Chrysler vehicles.
>http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46622
>
>In regards to your leak I have similar amounts of regret at times with
>keeping my Jeep a daily driver for so long. I have ruined it by
>gradually modifying it to perform the way I want off-road. Every step
>closer towards off-road makes it less desirable on-road. Currently I am
>fighting a Death Wobble issue. She is 9.5 years old and suddenly
>decides to do death wobble. This was shortly after I nearly replaced
>the entire front end (with exception of the steering box). I will
>figure out why death wobble has appeared, but in the meantime it has
>reminded me how foolish mixing business and hobby can be. I still love
>the damn thing regardless of my hack work and always thought I would
>daily drive it for 7 - 10 years. Looks like we are looking at 10 - 12
>years as I am waiting for Jeep to make another Cherokee with a diesel
>for a reasonable price (I may buy a Liberty diesel from a buddy in the
>next 6 months).
>
>-Marc-

Download Messenger. Join the i’m Initiative. Help make a difference today.