Re: Serpentine Belt Life

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 21:20:08 EDT

Kyle Kozubal <solocamxt@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> First off, hello guys.....I am back!

> I have a question about my truck's serpentine belt:

> Should it be replaced as according to the mileage on
> the truck, how long it has been on the truck, or just
> how it visually looks?

> My truck is an early 2004 model, but only has 16,000
> (a tad under actually) miles. The belt is a factory
> installed part, Mopar original.

> Should I just look and see how it actually looks? I
> was looking at those Goodyear Gatorback belts
> today.....they look really nice!

  At 16,000 miles, unless something has happened to damage the belt,
it should have a lot of miles left in it. I think I've probably got
around 40,000 miles on the belt in my '96 Dak, and the only reason it
doesn't have the stock belt in it is because I had to swap it out when
I changed to underdrive pullies.

  What I have been told in the past is that you can inspect the belt -
cracks running across (perpendicular to) the ribs are OK, and to be
expected, but if you have any cracking which runs along with (parallel
to) the ribs, or if you are starting to get pieces of the ribs
missing, then its time for a new belt.

   However, if it is something you are worried about, buy a new belt
and throw it in the storage compartment, along with the proper sized
wrench for your tensioner pulley. The belt is really easy to change,
so you could technically wait for it to break and then change it on
the side of the road. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-