Re: was: gas tank now K&N FIPK

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Tue May 01 2007 - 21:22:44 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>>jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

>>> Unless it has changed over the years, it should be 1/4-20. (Unless
>>>you meant the four bolts that hold the TB itself to the intake, in
>>>which case I *think* they are 5/16-18.
>

>>Really? Cool! A few inches of threaded rod and a wingnut, and I can do
>>away with that stupid hollow bolt...
>

> What's the hollow bolt? Is that something that comes with the K&N
> intake? Or maybe its a GenIII thing for the plastic air hat?
>
> Check out the FABM install for good pics of the stock setup -
> http://www.dakota-truck.net/upgrades/FABM/fabmdml.html There is a
> bracket on the top of the TB which has a 1/4-20 carriage bolt
> installed in it, and the short bolt at the front of the bracket which
> actually attaches it to the TB is also 1/4-20. DMLers have been
> replacing that flow restricting bracket with a svelte "S-Bolt" for
> many years now. (The S-bolt is simply a piece of 1/4-20 rod with two
> bends to get it to line up with the thread in the TB and the center of
> the air hat flange so that it goes through the lid.)

The stock FIPK comes with a stud [long ass set screw] that screws into
the TB, and then a hollow bolt that fits down through the new airhat and
straddles the stud. It is an over-engineered POS that needs a more
elegant solution..

So, how is it that every other nut and bolt on my truck is metric except
the TB...???