Timing 3.9 v-6

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 21:39:52 EDT

I know the timing can't be adjusted by rotating the distributor and
such, but what is the base timing of a 96 3.9 v-6 when at operating
temp and at idle? I am having so tapping issues andf have exhausted
all the upper end engine possibilities. New parts are as follows:
lifters, head gaskets, 1.7 harland roller rockers, valve springs,
pushrods, intake gaskets (including plenum pan), heads completely
checked over with some blending and polishing work done.

The tapping is not a ping or knock as I have tried everything from 87
octane to 93 octane with octane boost in it. I can hear the noise in
both cylinder heads and the exhaust manifolds with a noticeable noise
in the exhaust tone (no cat and flowmaster 40 series). It is a
rhytmic tapping that cahnges with rpm. The tapping goes away when the
engine is under load but reappears immediately when not under load
(cruising, idling or deceleration). It is loud enough to be heard as
an echo off close buildings, bridge sides, fences, etc... I have
tried 10w-30 and 20w-50 oils with no difference at all. Oil pressure
is strong, even when the engine is warm.

It is driving me nuts! It literally sounds like a garden gnome high
on caffiene and sugar pills in my engine with a ball pein hammer!

Any ideas? Much more of this will cause me to start randomly smashing
those little gnomes when I see them.

WiLieR