RE: 1992 magnum cracked heads

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 16:23:37 EDT

<snip>

> i figured head gasket problem
>
> i just called my machine guy to order a set of gaskets
>
> he claims every set of 92 magnum heads that has come into his shop have
> been cracked
>
> anybody on the list come across the same problem???
>
> rob and the ferts in phx

I really don't understand why most folks want to jump to one of the more
expensive conclusions to solve a problem (any problem) rather than perform a
proper diagnosis. Cooling systems can be pressure tested to detect a leak.
Radiator caps can (and should) be pressure tested.

Heads and head gaskets would be the absolute *last* things I would consider.
I know several people with 92-93 magnums with nearly 200K miles on them and
never had the heads off.

Having said that....early magnum heads have been known to suffer cracks
between the valve seats. Usually it doesn't result in any noticeable
problems.

*IF* you were to find this is indeed the source of your coolant loss, I
would recommend the heavy duty heads if you want to buy new. One place to
get them is Hughes Engines. DO NOT get talked into R/T heads. Regardless
of valve size, the ports are waaay too large for good performance on a 318!
And they are expensive.

I've not found any cracking issues in post 2000 magnum heads so a newer (low
mileage) junk yard set may be a viable alternative to new HD heads.

I still would bet heads are not your problem.

Ray
1992 Dakota; 318 magnum. See link below..