Re: torsion bar knock? ;was ball joints

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 23:23:29 EDT

On May 22, 2007, at 22:27, jldenning@earthlink.net wrote:

> 1999 4x4 5.2l. It has 60k miles and new stiff shocks.
>
> Here's my sympton: I get a solid knock out of the right front
> suspension.

Have someone "reproduce" it while you look for it under the truck.
If it's knocking there have to be two parts moving semi independently
that should not be.

Bob Smith will tell you to look at the lower shock bolt. I'd agree,
though that should knock more on the down swing.... "stiff shocks"
makes this much more likely, though I never had any issue myself and
ran my Rancho 9000s at 9 offroad a few times. I think it has more to
do with potentially bottoming the shock at full compression with a
single shear bolt installation, but let's worry about that if that's
the problem.

Bad ball joints or rotten bushings can also be the source of knocks
and clunks in suspension. If it's surely related to compression/
extension, I'd be looking harder at those components than at steering
components.

If you can't see anything up in the front corner and can't locate the
sound, be sure to look at the other end of the torsion bars, as well
as your body mounts.

Good luck!

BTW - I wouldn't drive 800 miles with really bad ball joints, but
that's your call I suppose

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |