Re: I made it!

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2007 - 01:02:40 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Thanks again to Jon and his family for putting up with another DML invasion.

Yes, thank you!

I'm writing from near Lake George, NY - I've put on about 500 miles
since I left Jon's. I'm *SO* glad I did my kingpins, and I put another
seal in my power steering box (still the stock unit) the one night I had
at home, and GOT IT SEALED! Horay! I only get a few drops of fluid out
of it now, instead of leaving streams of drips that I could easilly
trace every time I parked. Assist has improved as well with the better
sealing.

The rough running issue that I picked up after trying to smooth out
Tom's ruts stuck around for a while. I stopped to rinse off the truck
in Rochester and heard the trouble the engine was having breathing
through my K&N that was filtering extremely well... I cleaned that and
it improved but I was not choking the engine.

It was actually a small hole in my exhaust, it seems. I'd gotten it put
all the way together but was short one clamp, and the notch that I made
in the pipe to clear the rear O2 bung had slipped apart, leaving about
1" sqare open immediately after my (hollow) cat. Apparently that was
just enough to let atmosphere into the exhaust system and cause an
extremely rich condition at near-idle. The problem was showing as rough
running, rich fuel smell, and muffled backfire/ cat popoff when idling
on trails at Jon's and through towns at 30-35MPH in 3rd. 2nd gear
through town at 2k was alright.

I stuck the exhaust back together, put on a clamp, and it behaved today.
  I'll find out for sure as I deal with DC area traffic tomorrow, but
that was unexpected. I guess 3" exhaust is far too large for a 318 when
it's only about 18" long, at idle.

Just a little tidbit of info for all of you.

Was good to see you all again. Hopefully I'll have some decent pictures
to share from the Nor'Easter 4x4 run next weekend.

--
MikeM, without a saved .sig :-)