RE: Cold engine = way more torque

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 07:20:44 EDT

Cold engine = More advanced timing curve, richer mixture (at initial startup
then leans out)
Operating Temp = Less advanced timing curve, leaner mixture

IAT sensor - stuck in the intake manifold - reads intake temp but heats up
past normal outside air temp which causes the timing to be retarded even
more...loss of power. 3.9/5.2/5.9L engines are notorious for this and the
4.7L is almost the same. Moving the IAT sensor into the actual intake tube
cures this to a point. Not a whole lot else you can do though as warmer air
is less dense than cold air which in turn carries less oxygen - less power.
This is the whole reason for cold-air intake systems, intake cooling
systems, and why you see people putting ice on the intake manifolds to cool
down the intake charge in between runs at the track.

There's more to it within the PCM programming, but I'm not going to get into
details on that.

- Bernd