Transfer Case Harmonics

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 23:35:45 EDT

As you may recall I blew up my transfer case in April, finally fixed
(more or less) my truck in the end of May, and then 3 days later left
the country for 2 months. Anyway, I got back to the States on
Wednesday and there seems to be some harmonics in the drive train, I
noticed these before I left, but didn't have time to do much about it,
and it's still there. It happens intermittently between 5-20 mph and
more often when making left turns than going straight or turning
right. I've discussed this with my regular mechanic (my dad) over the
phone and the conclusion is that it has to do with the counter balance
bolted on the back of the xfer case. This also makes since since it
was a lot worse before I bolted on the counter balance when I first
installed this transfer case in May.

The transfer case I removed was from 1997, the one that replaced it
was from 1995, and the truck is a 1994 V8. Was there a change in the
weight of the counter balance in the mid 1990s?

This is one quirk I need to get worked out in the next few weeks as I
am planning on moving back to the Northwest once I get my loose ends
all tied up here.

Thanks,
Dustin Williams
1994 Dakota CC SLT 4x4 V-8