Re: Quad Cabs - Opinions/Advice on Purchase

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2007 - 22:26:33 EDT

On Aug 27, 2007, at 14:56, A. S. wrote:

> I am currently looking at buying a used Quad Cab (00-04) Gen 3
> version. I will most likely go with a 4x4, V8 Auto. I have owned
> Dakotas for many years (both Gen 1 and 2) so I know about most of
> the common problems/issues, but I thought I would check to see if
> any years are better than others during 00-04? I'm not sure if
> anything major was changed during those years. Anything particular
> to look with the 4.7? Any advice/opinions on the Quad Cabs are
> welcome.

I'd go with a 2000 just for the older style dashboard ('01 flipped
the center vents and HVAC controls from '97-'00; I can't find
pictures in a quick search). I'd also go with the 5.9, but I like
torque more than spinning it fast, so that's a driving style and
personal preference thing. The 545RFE is a nice transmission though.

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |