Re: OT: Network / Server

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2007 - 22:43:02 EDT

Jamie Calder wrote:

> If I use a separate file server with raid, does it still need an OS to work
> (sorry if this is a basic question)?

Yes. A computer without an operating system is little more than an
expensive pile of parts. Like a car without a driver.

Regarding RAID, consider what you really need it for. Just in case you
haven't already heard...

*** RAID DOES NOT REPLACE BACKUPS ***

RAID is only to eliminate down time in the event that a drive dies,
which does happen from time to time. You still need to run backups. If
you can live with a day or two of downtime while you restore from
backup, then you can save a lot of money by not going with RAID.

RAID-5 is pretty cool, but RAID-1 can be done with two drives. By the
time you outgrow it, the available hard drives will be much larger, so
you can just get a couple of larger drives. There is a *lot* of info
out there on the net, just Google for it.

If money is no object, then go for it. I just figured I'd throw out a
couple of thoughts.

Personally, I have a dedicated file and e-mail server with a RAID-1.
Two 200G drives. I use a couple of 250G drives in external enclosures
for backups. I switch back and forth between them every so often so I
can keep one unplugged and in a safe place. We've about outgrown 200G,
so now I'm debating between moving up to a RAID-5 or just getting a
couple of larger drives. But I'm the kind of geek who runs Linux and
plays around with RAID because it amuses me.