RE: PT Cruiser

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 09:02:48 EDT

Blow-off valves are used in turbo systems (usually with manual
transmissions) where the throttle body is downstream of the turbo.
During upshifts where the throttle is closed, the spinning turbo will
pressurize the system between the turbine and the throttle body, greatly
reducing the speed of the turbine. The blow-off valve is used to
relieve this pressure and help keep the turbo "spooled up" between
upshifts. Especially loud blow-off valves are also favored by the "Fast
and teh Stoopid" crowd to announce that they care more about style than
execution.

Not all turbo systems have them. My non-intercooled GLH has the
throttle body upstream from the turbo. When I upshift, there is no
pressure build-up when the throttle is closed since the turbo feeds
directly into the intake. There is a vacuum behind the throttle body
that doesn't effect the spooled-up condition as much as the pressure in
a system where the TB is downstream.

TB-->turbo-->intake (No BO valve needed)

Turbo--(BO valve goes here)-->TB-->intake

Does that look right?