RE: OT: Network / Server

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2007 - 14:39:03 EDT

It isn't. At least with my "work" hat on. Its an exercise in economics,
both in human effort and money. Your data (work or personal) is as
important as you (or your institution) wants it to be. Security costs
time and money. How much do you want to spend? I don't waste my time
or money at home with the same care that I take at work. Neither do many
backup device or software manufacturers. Maybe I just care more about
other peoples' stuff than I do my own. (The cobbler's son never has nice
shoes.) I operate from the perspective that the things that impact the
greater number of users require the greatest amount of capital. I have
roughly 5000 users for whom I have to back up mail and data files.
Plus, my customers (students) upon whom all of us depend for a paycheck,
have important financial and academic info to be secured and backed up.
They all (staff, faculty and students) depend on me to keep it safe and
available. A single home user simply doesn't match up. Seriously, I do
know what you mean. From an end-user's perspective, their personal data
>is< their corporate data. I just hope they don't expect me to drop
everything here at work and fix their home system for them. I hope that
I just didn't completely overreact!