Re: 2001 4WD - Ok to remove the front driveshaft?

From: SilverEightynine@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 22 2007 - 11:30:33 EDT

In article <200709221009.02330.info@zaccaria-pinball.com>,
info@zaccaria-pinball.com (David Gersic) writes:

> On Saturday 22 September 2007 12:42 am, SilverEightynine@aol.com wrote:
> > what do they mean - can't repair it? What was wrong with it? If its just
> > Ujoints and a cardan ball repair kit - those are easy to locate and change.
>
> Well, see, that's just the problem. You're thinking it's a double cardan
joint
> like they show in the FSM:
>
> http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/double-cardan-joint.jpg
>
> right? But it's not. Here's the shaft they used in 2001 (4WD, 5Sp trans, V6
> engine):
>
> http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/driveshaft1.jpg
>
> One end has a standard u joint on it, that goes to the front diff; the other
> end has what I believe is actually a CV joint on it, replacing the double
> cardan that they used in previous years. The output shaft of the transfer
> case has a cup shaped receiver for this end, and some bolts to hold it in
> place.
>
> As for what went wrong, it looks to me like the rubber boot that should be
> sealing this joint failed:
>
> http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/driveshaft2.jpg
>
> allowing crud to get in, which corroded the innards. It doesn't seem to fail
> catestrophically, which I guess is a good thing, but it does make a nasty
> griding noise when in 4WD that gets louder the faster you drive. I assume
> that it's going to keep getting worse, and eventually something nasty is
> going to happen if it's not taken care of, so I wanted to get this done
> before winter gets here.
>
> Some research earlier this year didn't turn up anybody that made parts or a
> parts kit to rebuild this joint. Every driveshaft place seemed to have the
> same answer: replace driveshaft. So I was a bit surprised when this shop
> thought that they'd be able to repair it. I guess they didn't check first.
> Different story once they actually saw the shaft. I guess my alternative
> would be hunting down an earlier transfer case output shaft and converting to
> to a double cardan joint shaft, but then I'd *still* have to replace the
> shaft, and I'd have to mess with the transfer case too, so that's not really
> much of an improvement unless this is a high failure rate part that I'll have
> to replace again someday.
>
> So is this a "CV" joint? I don't know if that's the right term for it or not,
> but it's definitly not a standard and easy to rebuild cardan or double cardan
> joint.
>
> As for why they switched from double cardan to this, I'm curious about that.
> My research didn't turn up anything there. Maybe Bernd can tell us? And do
> the new Dakotas come with this setup as well? I'm somewhat tempted to go up
> to the local dealer and crawl under one to find out.

Oh brother.... This makes me appreciate the earlier Gen III trucks even more.
Makes me want to run out and buy a 1999 Dakota now. If I ever get a Gen III
its going to be a 99 or older - I don't like what they did to the thing in 2000
and up (mechanically).

I don't know what you would call that joint. I can't quite figure out how it
works - just from those pictures. It must have some kind of tripod-socket -
like a front drive axle. But I've never seen anything like that on a front
shaft. Reall weird. Yet another product of the Daimler Legacy (spits).

Terrible Tom