Re: RE: MAP sensor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Sep 22 2007 - 17:52:56 EDT

Steve Preston <steveophonic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't have that function,apparently. I can only read
> the inches in HG's with my laptop scan tool. If you
> need the actual barometric pressure for my area,I can
> find that out.

   Inches of Hg (mercury) are the units of measure used to convey
barometric pressure. You can tell what the MAP thinks the ambient
barometric pressure is by reading the inches in HG with your scanner
when the engine is not running. I believe that is what Bernd is
referring to - find out what your MAP sensor is reading when the
engine isn't running. If its 28 or lower or 31 or higher, chances are
the sensor is bad. (Though just to be sure, you can compare the
reading to a barometer or a nearby weather station just in case you're
in a very high or low pressure area and/or at an extreme altitude.)

   So umm, I guess to make a long-ish paragraph shorter, your scanner
already has the ability to take the reading Bernd was asking for, you
just need to do it with the engine off.

--
                                          -Jon-