Re: RE: Re: Vacuum 101

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 16:47:48 EDT

Steve Preston <steveophonic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> All I know is,you and Bernd are both normally
> correct,and now I am lost! I feel like the kid in
> Kramer vs. Kramer. :)

   Heh! I know what you mean, its like a Twilight Zone episode or
something. :-) This thing is messing with my head too because Bernd
is a company tech with lots of experience dealing with this stuff day
in and day out, but what he is saying (or what he seems to be saying)
is completely contrary to what logic would seem to dictate. I'm also
somewhat on an uncomfortable side of the issue as far as theory and
application go. In college as a CS major, there were a bunch of
students (myself included) who didn't care for the fact that the
professors focused entirely on theory but never actually got around to
the *application* of that theory. I saw theory as a tool to assist
during application, which was the important part of creating software.
Anyway, this is sort've similar except that Bernd is the one saying
that his applied experience runs contrary to my theory. :-) That's
part of what is so surreal about this, and the reason why I went
searching for some answers. I discovered that the technical/auto repair
web sites that I found were in line with my theory however, that a
clogged cat reduces vacuum rather than increases it. That makes me
feel better that I'm not off my rocker, but it doesn't do anything to
help resolve the situation. :-) (In a way, I was kind've hoping that
my research would show me to be wrong so that I could just resign
myself to thinking that I made an error somewhere, but no such luck.)
:-) (You can do a Google search if you wish to come up with the same
sites.)

   Its gotten to the point where I need to hook up a vacuum gauge and
run the test myself, but I've got too much to do to get around to that
anytime soon I'm afraid. I'm putting it on my list of things to do,
but I've got a bunch of machine work to do today and I've already
spent more time than I should have today with this post! ;-)

   Maybe its a Canadian plot to disseminate bad intelligence prior
to their invasion of the USA? Bernd is actually locked up in a high
security facility in Manitoba, and Celine Dion is living in his house,
posting misdirection to the DML. They plan to disperse a chemical
fog over US military bases which will clog catalytic converters, and
without being able to perform a correct diagnosis, the military will
be crippled. (Insert "Muwahahahaaaa" here and stroke feline, if
applicable.) Hmmm, does an M1 Abrams even have cats? If not, I may
need to switch to a different theory - I've got plenty! ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-