Re: Generations of Daks

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 09:33:22 EDT

It depends on who you ask. According to Chrysler, the 87-96 is the
same generation as those years are all called the N body. That would
make 87-96 gen-I, 97-04 Gen-II, 05+ gen-III. However, in the Dodge
Dakota world enthusiasts have long debated about the generations.
After all the dust finally settled it was pretty well agreed upon that
the Gen-I years are 87-90, Gen-II 91-96, Gen-III 97-04, Gen-IV 05+.
It is rumored the 08 might become Gen-V, but that is not decided yet.
These generation break downs were decided upon based on major body
changes. In 91 the front end got completely redesigned along with the
introduction of the club cab and the factory v-8 option. But the 91
retained the 88-90 tbi engines, so it was debated about for a while.
Some said it should be based off driveline, which would make the 91 a
gen-I thanks to the tbi engines. Others said it should be based off
body, which thanks to the new front and club cab offerings it would be
a gen-II. It was finally agreed upon by most that the 91 is a gen-II
since it offered more new features that carried over into the 92-96
years than it retained from the 87-90 gen-I years. There are still
some people who debate this, but the majority of Dakota lists/boards
have accepted the earlier break down in this post.

WiLieR