Re: Generations of Daks

From: Mike Sykes (mikesykes@cox.net)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 10:04:29 EDT

>>Would someone repost the years that fit in each Generation again??
I ahve an '89 and a '95 and I can;t remember which Generation the
'95 fits into.. I'm fairly sure the '89 is a Gen I since the Dak was
introduced in what(?) '88??<<<

ooh! I love this question! =)

87-91 is Gen I. the mighty Dak was introduced in 86 as an 87 model with
carbed 4 bangers and 6ers. TBI became an option in late 88 model year. The
convertible was available as an 89 and a 90. The V8 powered shelby was
available in 89 (90 also? don't remember) and the Club Cab hit the street as
a 90 model. 91 was the first year a V8 was offered in a non-shelby. it was
not, however, a magnum.

92-96 is Gen II. what changed? the 5.2 and 3.9 engines went to the magnum
style, the wheels went to a 6 lug, and the headlights went to a composite.
The nose was extended in 91 to accomodate the V8s.... not sure why 91 is
still a gen I... other fun things throughout the life of the Gen II: in 94
the horsepower of the Dak was reduced via smaller exhaust manifolds and
exhaust systems. The 92 and 93 trucks had large exhaust manifolds and 3"
exhaust. the 92 manifolds were saught after by us Dak enthusiasts untill
someone got on the stick and started making some headers for us. was a tough
time... uphill both ways... in 3 ft of snow... barefooted.... some other fun
facts: high mounted brake light came onlong in 94, but was in the tailgate.
Ma Mopar got smart and put it in the top of the cab in 95. 96 came OBD-II,
much to Jon Steiger's dismay. =)

97-04 is Gen III. oooh man.... the flame wars that came with that redesign.
woo! That's when the truck becamne more Ram-like. lots and lots and lots and
lots changed... except the engines. It was the first major redesign of the
Dak in it's history. Sales went through the roof. 98 brought the limited
production R/T and a whole new flame war (Elitists!). The R/T didn't stay
limited production for long. You could get those up untill 03. The Quadcab
came out in 2000, and with it the 4.7L V8. You could still get the 318, but
you had to special order it. The V6 remained unchanged, and the mighty 5.9
was still only available in the R/T and some Durangos.... untill 2001. in
01' you could get the 5.9 in 4x4 Quad Cab Daks and R/Ts, but that was it.
the 318 went the way of the DoDo. 2001 is the only real overhaul the Dak
got. New dash, new wheels, and the 2 peice front bumper gave way to a bumper
with a 1-peice cover, new engine management, new injectors, and the keyless
entry flashes the parking lights. sweet. Lots of different colors came and
went, as well as the decals on the side of the tuck going away in 03'.

05+ is Gen IV. All I know about those is that they look different, have more
room inside, and they were met with little enthusiasm from buyers. big
redesign comin' for the Dak soon. let's cross our fingers. =)

***returning to lurk mode***

-miggity
00' R/T CC... a mod or two or 9 =)