Alternator issue?

From: Phillip Batson (pbatson68@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 12:50:33 EDT

How would I go about testing the alternator? I'm not sure if it is the battery, or if the alternator isn't charging the battery. I originally thought it was the battery, but now i'm not so sure. The volt meter in the truck goes up pretty slow after startup. I was using a Optima red top battery, and I know it isn't more than a couple years old. I'm searching for my receipt cause I know I got a pro-rated 84 months on that thing. I threw a yellow top I had laying around in it in the mean time. Seemed to work great at first, now the battery gauge is doing the slow crawl up to 14v again. I have a multimeter so I can test stuff, even have the kind that goes around a wire to tell me voltage/amps.

Thanks guys!!

Phil