RE: OT: Dual Hard Drives...again

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 09:22:10 EDT

I wouldn't worry about partitioning them. In this instance, I'd just
format them with the entire drive capacity as your primary partition
(using the default cluster size). If you decide that you're running out
of space on one partition, modifying partition sizes can be a pain.
OTOH, if you plan on nuking your windows installation on a regular
basis, putting your documents on a different partition can be helpful,
especially if you don't have an offline backup. (We all have those,
right?) To get the best performance, the swap file should be hosted on
its own physical disk with no other partitions or files. If you have
the swap file on the same drive as your applications, there will be disk
contention as it will be swapping while it is loading your apps.