Messed up tune-up

From: Zachary Burcham (roadking_dakota@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2007 - 17:12:42 EDT

OK, I'll try to cover my bases so far. Was changing the cap and rotor on my 92 Dakota. I didn't get the cap on right the first time, with only the driver's side screwed down and the passengers side down, but crooked. Started the truck and it ran, but barely, thinking I might have the coil wire loose I pressed down on it and the cap I could feel the rotor hitting in there and the truck died. It broke the rotor. Went and got a new rotor, the cap had a bit of a gouge in it but all the contacts looked fine. Put together with new rotor and the truck cranks but won't start. I've swapped the pick-up as well (little plastic plate under cap) and gotten a whole new cap and rotor set and changed the wires (already had been on order) with the same result, cranks, no real attempt to fire. Any ideas here? I'm super stumped and so are most other people.

Zach