Check Engine Light

From: Kurt Cypher (cyphercats@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 13:49:22 EDT

The check-engine light on my '97 CC 2WD Dak came on yesterday evening.
I went to Autozone this morning to have them scan it. When he plugged
in his scanner, nothing showed up on the screen, and the guy said
something about "not getting any power from" the truck. Then he
suggested checking the fuses. The only fuse I could find that was blown
was for the cigarette lighter, and that one had been gone for at least a
year, because the lighter never worked since I got it, and I never got
around to swapping the fuse until this morning while I was in there anyhow.

While my first thought was that this guy has no clue how to operate the
scanner, and forgot to turn it on or needs to change the batteries, I do
realize that the scanner could be working properly, and may indeed run
on power from the truck, and is just not getting a signal from the
truck. If that is the case, what sort of things should I be looking
for? The wiring right at the scanner port appears to be OK at a quick
glance, but I doubt a problem there would be causing the check engine
light to come on, though I suppose a short in that wiring might do it.

If I can, I'm planning on trying to stop at a different Autozone on my
way home tonight, to see if they say get the same results.

Other than the check engine light, everything seems to be operating
normally, and all the gauges are giving normal readings.

The fuses I was checking are in the compartment by the driver's door.
Are there any fuses/switches/relays/etc inside the engine compartment
that I should take a look at?

Thanks,
Kurt