RE: Tensioner and idler bearings

From: clhyer@cox.net
Date: Wed Nov 07 2007 - 07:45:19 EST

Allow me to post a similar type comment...

I recently purchased an '88 Plymouth Grand Fury ex-cop car for parts. It runs very well and I plan to drive it this winter or until I am ready to strip the parts I need. At the rear of the transmission (998/999) there is a large heavy counterweight bolted to the tailshaft. The rubber bushings holding that piece on were like jelly, deteriorated I presume from auto tranny fluid leaks over the years. The rubber bushings are unavailable, the whole counterweight assembly with new bushings runs $80 there's that $80 figure again...). I drove around for about two weeks w/out the counterweight and it wasn't a problem if I kept it under 45. To make a short story shorter, I got a piece of 1/2" truck air brake hose - a perfect fit. Two pieces about 3/4" and put it back together - no more vibration. Total cost, my labor-free; two inches of hose-free. If that don't last long I will try fuel hose next time.

$80 my ass...
Cal