RE: Re: Fwd: NGK Sparkplug ? Sorry guys :-)

From: Peter A Athens (athynz@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2007 - 20:52:30 EST

Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:50:19 -0500
From: Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: DML: NGK Sparkplug ? Sorry guys :-)

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> David Gersic <info@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:
>

>>On Tuesday 13 November 2007 10:44 pm, Rick Barnes wrote:
>>
>>>What the heck is an E3?
>

>>Probably these: http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/
>

> I have always considered multiple electrode plugs to be in that
> grey, "scam-ish" territory, probably due to the marketing when
> Splitfire first came out. Is there actually something to this, and if
> so, does the increased fuel savings pay for the plugs? Anybody have
> any real world data? Also, how much of a hassle are these things to
> gap?
>
> At the E3 link that David provided (thanks!), E3 appears to be a
> separate company, but from reading the earlier posts in this thread, I
> got the impression that the e3 was a type of spark plug made by NGK.
> Is the E3 link the same plug that you guys were talking about?
> (That's why I took the time to look at the site, I figured if an
> established company like NGK was using multiple electrodes, maybe
> there was a chance that there was more to it than marketing hype.)
> :-)

All of the European cars I have had [VW, BMW and Benz] have had them.
When I switched to regular Bosch Platinums on the BMW it ran liike crap,
so bad I thought I broke one of the wires. New wires and coilpacks
didn't help so I posted up on BMWfourms, and the first response was to
switch back to the multi-prongs [before I even told them I had changed
away from them.]

The Dak is getting them here pretty soon, at my first non-dealer,
non-warranty sparkplug change...

Let us know how those work out - I'm looking at them on amazon.com now but
the two reviews are less than stellar. They are running about 2 bucks less
per plug (around 7 bucks each) and getting 6 of them will qualify the order
for free shipping, so it saves some cash all around but if they don't work
as well as the single electrode ones It's just cash down the drain...