Re: RE: OT-MP3

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Dec 08 2007 - 14:14:49 EST

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:
> jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>> Yep, I've never had to do it myself just because I've never had to
>> mess with a DRM encrypted file, but common sense tells you that as
>> long as you can listen to the file, DRM will never work. Its as
>> simple as plugging the line out of the computer playing the file into
>> the line in of another computer. Play the file on one computer and
>> record it as a WAV on the other, then convert it to mp3 or whatever
>> format you want.
>>
>> I don't see any way DRM will *ever* be able to overcome the above
>> limitation, thus any attempt at DRM is a failure before it even
>> begins.
>>

> It's even easier than that, If you burn the DRM tracks to an Audio DVD,
> then re-rip them, DRM is gone. You can even batch them that way, set PC
> to rip, go to bed, get up to fresh MP3's...

   I'm sure there are better/faster/etc. ways to do it, like I said
I've never had to do it myself, I wasn't really concerned with that
aspect of it, I was just trying to make the point that as long as it
is physically possible to listen to a file, DRM will never work
because even if all else fails, you will always be able to record what
comes out of the speakers or line-out port.

--
                                          -Jon-