multiple battery setup?

From: Bill Pitz (bill@pitz.net)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2007 - 14:05:01 EST

I've been thinking about a multiple battery setup for a while... figured
I'd post here first to see if anyone has already thought up a good way
to do this.

I'd like to add a second battery to my truck -- something more suited
for deep cycle use. The idea would be to have a power source to use for
the stereo, light air compressor use (for tire inflation), etc. when
camping and such.

In a perfect world, I'd like to have the starting battery completely
disconnected from the vehicle's electrical system when the truck is off
(a manual switch that I could activate when parked at the campsite would
be fine, too). Both the deep cycle and the starting battery should be
able to charge off of the truck's alternator when the engine is running.

I know I need a battery isolator to accomplish this -- but what about
the switch between starting/deep cycle once stopped?

I'm also curious where others who may have done this have put the
additional battery and the isolator. I'd like to avoid losing any space
in the bed if possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

-Bill