Same Oil Filters, was Durango Looking to buy

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 20:54:33 EST

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:

> Almost....the originial, the only, "090".
>

> To be fair, dosen't Dodge use the same oil filter on damn near every
> engine they make?

Not sure what Bernd is referring to, but yeah Barry, There are so many
things the same filter will fit. The common Chrysler filter is I use a
WIX 51085 (NAPA Gold 1085). That will fit a bazillion things...

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartApplications.asp?Part=51085

The filter used by Chrysler prior to the 51085 was the 51068. Its the
same filter - just longer.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartApplications.asp?Part=51068

I use the NAPA Gold 1068 on the Ram, a 1085 on Christine's 318. (1068
would hit the frame - no room) and the 1085 on my Neon. The neon can
also use the 1068, but the length on that one hangs down past the oil
pan too much for my comfort.

The Neon normally uses a 1348.

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartApplications.asp?Part=51348

Using the 1085 on the Neon gives me a half quart more oil capacity. A
full 5 qts vs 4 1/2. The premag V6 in Christine also called for a 1348,
but I had been running 1085s on that for a long time. If I could get
over my fear of having the bottom of the oil filter whacked on the Neon
I could use 1 filter for everything I own. Except the Explorer - which
uses a 1372 with metric threads.

What I did notice, and I found weird - was that the 3.7L V6 in the
Dakota, supposed to be a 4.7L minus 2 slugs right? Well why does the Dak
3.7V6 use a 5-1516 filter? Instead of the same 5-1085??

  I see the thread is the same - 3/4-16 - but the gasket diameters are
slightly different...

An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations!
Repo man spends his life gettin' IN tense situations!!!
TerribleTom - AIM & Yahoo: silvereightynine
http://www.myspace.com/silvereightynine
http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine