RE: Crank Seal

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 07:23:49 EST

Take a close look under the engine at the front of the oil pan. If there is
wet oil (not the cakes on dirt that accumulates there) clean it off and
drive it for a few days...then recheck it. If the oil reappears, crank seal
or front timing cover seal is leaking - you'll have to look closer to find
out which though.

No, over heating won't cause the seal to leak but age will. If you're using
1qt/1K miles...check the plenum gasket also. At 120K miles...and if you're
going to change out the crank seal (if it's leaking)...think about replacing
the timing chain as well. They're really loose around 80-90K miles and, if
there's no factory tensioner, they can jump very easily without notice.

If the fan clutch is leaking, there will be some thick fluid around the
clutch seal.

Without actually seeing the vehicle, it's hard to really say what is
leaking....just going by what you're describing and experience at the shop.

- Bernd