Re: multiple battery setup?

From: Eric (huffy340@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2007 - 22:32:41 EST

> If the batteries were wired in parallel and a switch or
> solenoid were used to simply disconnect the main battery while
> the deep cycle were used, upon reconnection, the main battery
> will try to "charge" the deep cycle

If you wait until the alternator is charging before connecting in
the dead battery, and the charging system can supply enough current
at greater than the voltage of the good battery, the current will
flow into each battery. A lot more will flow into the drained one,
but none not out of the good one.

Just for reference, my 99 dak has never had a problem keeping > 13V
even with a pair of basically dead optima's in parallel with the
regular battery.

> Basically what this is doing is to
> briefly wire the two batteries in parallel. This shouldn't be a
> problem though as far as a current surge goes because both
> batteries should be charged to the same voltage.)

If you want to be paranoid (usu I am , but in this case i would
not be) this could get you in trouble if the charged
voltage for the batteries is different (because of type or
health). But, i wouldn't worry about it.

Eric