RE: Swap Options for a 1999 5.2l auto 4x4

From: Rick Suter (rick.suteriii@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2007 - 09:57:32 EST

On Dec 26, 2007 8:33 PM, Rick Suter <rick.suteriii@gmail.com> wrote:

> Victim is a 1999 extended cab SLT 5.2l, auto, 4x4 with 120k. It's
> never run as nice as I've always thought it should. The idle has never
> been smooth and recently it stumbles at various RPMs and the tranny is
> beginning to show possible issues.
>
> I'm thinking about a drivetrain swap. Has anyone done a 4.7 or 5.7
> with attached Auto and Tcase in place of the 5.2l and 44re? How tough

>Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:37:44 -0600
>From: "Brian" <hskr@cox.net>
>Subject: DML: RE: Swap Options for a 1999 5.2l auto 4x4
>
>There's a couple guys on www.dakota-durango.com who have swapped in a
>5.7Hemi, but that was in place of a 4.7 and in 2003 Dakota\Durango so a lot
>f the wiring and sensors were the same. Going from a 5.2/44re is going to
>be a lot more involved. I'd say try to fix the problems you have now. The
>5.2 is a pretty reliable motor. When was the last time you changed your
>spark plugs/cap/rotor/plug wires?? And what brand of each are you using?
>How bout O2 sensors?? Cleaned your throttle body?? Serviced your tranny?
>Checked your intake manifold for the infamous belly pan gasket leak??
>
>brian cropp

Over the years all this has been done except the O2 sensors and none
of it really made a difference in the overall smoothness of the
engine. The biggest gain was installing a Mopar Performance PCM that
increased performance significantly and masked some of the bad habits.
They were all still there, but less obvious.

>The front end of the frame was modified to fit the 4.7 in 2000, so
>having a donor '00+ Dak on hand may be beneficial. The front
d>ifferential is different between '99 and '00, and that year switched
>to a rack & pinion steering to boot. You might have to bring all these
>over.

>You'll need the PCM, TCM and wiring harnesses for sure. Also, the fan
>shroud & configuration were changed in '00, so make sure you have
t>hose.

>You might have some issues mating the newer tranny up to your existing
>transfer case.

T Case issue would be solved by taking the newer 5.7 version along
with engine and tranny. Complete harness, check. Front frame
differences.... hmmm... K-Frame and Torsion bars? That could quickly
make the project less than worth it... Making up engine and tranny
mounts is one thing, but swapping K frames and torsion bars is
another... I presume that's a cut and weld operation, right? I wonder
if it might be as simple as notching the existing member....

What about gauges? All different?

thanks,

Rick