RE: EGR systems

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2008 - 09:59:28 EST

> How do hot exhaust gasses being rerouted back into the
> combustion chamber "cool" the CC?? They have to be
> hotter than the ambient air coming in thru the throttle body!!!
>
> "One of the hardest things in life to learn is which bridge
> to cross and which bridge to burn"
>
> Azie

I thought this was rather common knowledge. The air/fuel charge isn't
"cooled", rather the *temperature of combustion* is reduced. The term
"cooled" can be misleading as it is a relative term. We're talking
something like 1500ish*F "cooled" down to something like maybe
1300-1400*F. Too "cool" results in incomplete combustion and HC
emissions, while too "hot" results in high NOX. Does anyone know the
exact Goldilocks range? I'm just going off my EGT gauge which is used
simply to keep me from roasting a valve or piston.