Re: Leaky rear sliding window

From: Kurt Cypher (cyphercats@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2008 - 22:26:53 EST

On Jan 13, 2008, at 19:21, Barry Oliver wrote:

> Kurt Cypher wrote:
>> I have an occasional problem with water leaking into the rear
>> passenger area of my 97 Club Cab 2WD Dakota. I think I've
>> narrowed it down to water being forced through the sliding glass
>> window in the back. I normally park my Dak facing North, with
>> prevailing winds out of the West. The seat seems to get wet when
>> we have rain accompanied by strong winds out of the southwest,
>> and I'm thinking that the wind is forcing the sliding panel
>> forward just enough to let rain past the rubber seal. I'm
>> probably going to put some caulk in place as a temporary fix (and
>> to make sure my theory is right). Does anyone have any ideas
>> about ways to revitalize this rubber weather strip?
>> Alternatively, how much trouble is it to replace this rubber
>> strip (assuming it's even possible).
>> Kurt
>
> On my 99 it took $600 worth of "pressure testing" to determine that
> one of the body seams was leaking.

I've been thinking if I need to figure out exactly where the leak is
occurring, I may just spread some plastic inside, and break out the
garden hose & make my own heavy rain.

There never seems to be any water above the window (never noticed the
headliner to be wet), and the pattern of dampness appears to be
consistent with entering through the sliding panel seal.

> For the rear window, there isn't any cure for those rubber seals
> that isn't worse than the problem...

That's what I'm afraid of, that I'd have to replace the entire window
to fix a leaky seal. If that's the case, I'll just get some dark-
colored caulk and seal the window, since I hardly ever use it anyhow.

Thanks,
Kurt