Leaking cab air exhauster

From: Bill Pitz (bill@pitz.net)
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 16:56:53 EST

Yesterday I got into my truck (2000 Club Cab) and smelled that
disturbing odor that can only mean one thing: water leak.

I immediately suspected the infamous third brake light, but ruled that
out after opening it up and finding it to be completely dry. The area
that previously filled with water from the leaky brake light was also dry.

I eventually found that the insulation under the rear-seat storage tray
was very wet.

Last night I was looking through the FSM and saw the diagrams of the
"cab air exhausters." These immediately looked suspect to me, based on
their positioning, where the leak is occurring, and the volume of rain
we've been receiving here recently.

Today I ripped apart the back of the cab (whoever wrote in the FSM that
you can remove that enormous under-seat storage tray without removing at
least one of the rear trim quarter panels was a liar!) and got the tray out.

Sure enough, one of the air exhausters has a damp trail of dirt leading
down to the floor. Shaking it around a bit causes it to drip a bit more.

Now for the actual question content... What the hell should I do here?
  Obviously the exhauster is leaking, but what's the best fix? Just get
a new one from the dealer? I'm also not clear entirely how this little
bugger fits together. There's a piece on the back of the cab, outside,
and a corresponding piece inside the cab. Does the inside piece contain
most of the likely problem components? As much as I love taking my
truck apart :) I really don't feel like removing the bed to get full
access to the rear of the cab where the outside component of the
exhauster is.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated....

But hey, at least I found it. And at least the insulation under the
tool tray soaked up the water so my carpet didn't get wet.

-Bill