Re: MDS "on" LED...

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 18:12:05 EST

I've been trying to think of the best possible
connection point,but the solenoid driver circuit
really is the best. Has to be a high current 5 volt
supply. I would imagine they use some type of
heat-sinked transistor inside the PCM case to drive
each solenoids,unless the solenoids themselves are
really light duty. Can't imagine they would be for
auto use. If they are driven directly by an I.C.,that
tends to make me nervous.

Steve P.
--- jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Oh, something else that comes to mind is it might
> be worth taking a
> look at the MDS system in more detail - I have no
> idea how it works, I
> know earlier systems used solenoids and such, and
> now that I think of
> it, Bernd did mention a solenoid in this case. If
> they are using a
> solenoid for some reason, that might be a decent
> place to tap power
> for an LED. The power line for a solenoid, or the
> relay which
> controls the solenoid is probably going to be a heck
> of a lot less
> picky about changes than a PCM control circuit would
> be, and probably
> more forgiving in the event of a mishap as well.
> Just a thought,
> again, take it for what its worth. :-)
>
> --
> -Jon-