Re: Made in China

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2008 - 02:18:18 EST

> Is the CEO so much more valuable and important a person that he needs
> his 7 figure salery, stock options, bonuses, and perks? Raise gas
> prices - Mr little guy has to spend more money to drive to work to make
> Mr Corperate America rich. The big dogs in corperate america forget that
> the little guy down on the bottom is very important.

I'm in management and work for a publicly traded multinational company
based out of Spain in an industry where the US has an infinite trade
surplus. Due to government regulations around the world, at least
parts of the world where health care and disease prevention is
adequate to maintain a good plasma supply people in the US can donate
plasma (the liquid portion of the blood) four times as often as in
Japan, and eight times as often as in Europe, as such it requires a
much smaller donor base to produce our product. We provide the vast
majority of the world's supply, and as such are subject to European
audits.

As for the demand for these products, due to accidents (mostly burns),
bad genetics (hemophilia and primary immunodeficiency disorders), and
disease exposures (tetanus, HBV, and Anthrax) the people on the demand
side of our product are dependent on it to survive, and the industry
is only producing enough to meet 75% of the that demand.

The average employee doesn't look at the big picture, their biggest
concern is usually surviving to that next paycheck, and as long as
they do the minimum required of them their jobs are safe, those who do
more get promotions. Management exists to look at that big picture.
Big salaries, bonuses, and other benefits are the reward for
performance, for going above and beyond. Once I finish training and
get promoted to Assistant Manager, and then on to my own facility, the
bonuses are based on meeting and exceeding budgeted production goals
and doing so with the highest regard for quality (a factor that is
rated each trimester, and something that the average employee sees
small bonuses for).

A manager who is maxing out those bonuses is one who's center is
expanding, one which produces more product for the end customer,
services more donors who need the money usually for gas, groceries, or
cigarettes, and creates more jobs. We have to keep costs low for the
company to have the money to invest in expanding current facilities
and building new ones, to build and expand testing labs, fractionation
plants, and the rest of the infrastructure to get our product to those
who need it.

Ultimately with out the incentive provided by those salaries and
bonuses the quality of our product would diminish jeopardizing the
health of the end customers, and production levels would decrease
further hurting customers as well as resulting in employees loosing
their jobs. With the long hours and stress he has, the product of
which creates jobs not only for me, but for all employees, the CEO
definitely earns his six figure salary, besides if somebody could or
would be able to do it for less the board would go that route to cut
costs.