TBI stalling at idle (was: Made in China)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Feb 06 2008 - 15:02:50 EST

"Tom Byrne" <kerib@ptd.net> wrote:

> Well said Jon.

> FYI: Your adapter to mount my Shelby Dak TB to my Edelbrock Performer worked
> out very well. I am experiencing occasional stalling at idle. Can't figure
> out what this is. Maybe the vacuum signal is difficult for the computer?
> Only Jet makes a comp for my Dak. I have heard mixed reviews about them, but
> the are willing to build one specifically for my setup.

    Hey, waitaminit! An offtopic post which evolves to an on topic
discussion? That's not allowed, is it? Can you DO that?!?? :-)

    Thanks, I'm glad that you are happy with the adapter. I have to
give credit where it is due though, the adapter was Tom's idea, I just
figured out how to build them. :-)

    I apologize for not remembering all the details, but IIRC, this is
a Shelby Dak with the TBI 318 and you were swapping your intake out,
while at the same time you switched to a 360 throttle body? I assume
you didn't have any of that stalling prior to the install. Have you
tried swapping your 318 TB back to see if that helps?

    I think your vacuum signal should be the same as before, unless
maybe there is a leak somewhere, you might want to investigate that
possibility. (Had you taken vacuum readings before and after?)

    What sort of symptoms are you getting when it stalls? Does it
just quit out of the blue, or does it seem like the RPMs are dropping
too low and it dies out that way? Any codes stored in the computer?

    As far as the Jet chip goes, I have no personal experience with
them, but I think they are an inline module which basically alters
fuel and timing, in which case I don't know that it would correct
something like this. The Jet chip may give you some more power, but I
have a feeling that this is an underlying problem which would need to
be corrected first. (Unless it is a timing issue in which case they
may be able to adjust it at idle, though I still would lean towards
getting it working with the factory setup as opposed to trying to
correct with the Jet.)

--
                                          -Jon-