Re: is this the end of the Dakota?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 13:40:10 EST

"Tom Byrne" <kerib@ptd.net> wrote:
> Don't think the Dak has grown? I do. I see it every day. My 2007 Dak is huge
> compared to my 89 Shelby I currently own both). I say, either shrink the
> Dak, kill the Dak or kill the Ram and let the Dak become the big truck (a
> long bed Dak can do the job).

   I think that if a decision were to be made between the Dak and the
Ram, the Dak would be the one to get the axe, simply because the Ram
already has the full size truck pedigree. What with the entire Ram
lineup being essentially three different vehicles between the 1500,
2500 and 3500, they will need to keep selling the 3/4 and 1 ton
trucks so it seems logical to keep the 1500 as opposed to upgrading the
Dakota to full size and then building a 3/4 and 1 ton off of it.
Shrinking the Dak back down to its former size sounds like a good idea
to me. Pricing them so that they are a good deal less than the Ram
might help too. :-) Given the size and the fact that a Ram can be
had for about the same price, I wouldn't blame someone for going right
to the Ram; at this point it seems the main reason to choose the
Dakota is the slightly smaller size, and like you said, that
distinction seems to become less with each redesign.

--
                                          -Jon-