RE: RE: ...Mileage...and oil

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 18:33:40 EST

Simply put: Synthetic oil is simply a modern manufacturing method to get the
little amount of
unwanted stuff in dinosaur oil out, take the good constituents and then make
a better oil.

So when some synthetic oil vendor claims that their oil is "100%
synthetic"...it's not. Just look him in the eyes and ask him where the base
stock came from - dinosaur bones, poop, and other entrails. ;)

- Bernd

   You're mostly correct - group 3 base stock is refined from
dinosaurs, but group 4 is fully synthetic, chemically created. I
believe the vast majority of "synthetic" motor oils use the group 3
base stock, but I know there are some using group 4. (Which ones, I'm
not sure.)

   Anyhoo, if one word in your reply were changed, from "ALL" to
"MOST", then we are in agreement. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-