Re: RE: ...Mileage...and oil

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 21:02:51 EST

Well.
My truck is a 99, not an 09.
M1 15w50 isn't really that thick, it's not like straight 50 wt...
Many of the newer oil specifications come directly from the need to pass
emmissions, and lower viscosity oils do help that.
I send my oil in for analysis with EVERY oil change. I have even
duplicated samples to different companies as a "check" and have found
that IMHO blackstone is both the most consistent and the most
knowledgeable. My choices in oil come directly from that research.
When I run 10w30/40 in the summer, I get more wear indications, just
like when I run 15w50 during the summer. The 5w40 *might* be a
compromise as it seems to be a higher quality oil than the 10w30/40. I
will get back to you on that.

I have tested my mileage in controlled situations, I make the same
drives repeatedly throuought the year, and I keep track of them. I
dislike tracking my in-town mileage because it is depressing, but if you
want the 110 mile stretch between Joliet and Bloomington or or the 180
mile stretch from Springfield to Indy, or the 85 mile stretch between
Springfield and STL, I have GOBS of data points that I averaged and
casually presented here. When I track my "runs" I note weather, temp,
traffic, speed, loading, tire pressure and driving style.

You think Andy was anal when he showed his spreadsheet? Please. I am
so anal about my truck I refuse to show even the DML the extent of it
for fear of ridicule. Example, I have driven the truck 102k miles since
I bought it, and I have gone through 14 valve stem caps, 6 rubber and 8
metal. Of those, 5 of the metal were lost during a tire replacement,
and 2 were lost due to operator [me] error. Only one was lost
legitimately on the road, and it came off my spare after approxamately
3000 miles. OTOH, all six of the rubber caps was lost on the road.