Re: The new competition

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 13:58:22 EST

Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> The Indians are coming.

> http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/mahindra/dieselhybridandmore.html

> Sounds like they're taking it more upscale. When I first heard about
> this, it was supposedly going to be the cheapest truck available.
> Apparently they've decided to add more features and price, should be
> interesting to see what this does to the market.

  Hey, that's pretty cool! I hope it does well and spurs the other
manufacturers to build compact/mid size diesel pickups. Personally, I
think they are making a mistake with the whole diesel hybrid version
though; just stick with the diesel. In order to make a diesel hybrid
get better gas mileage than the straight diesel, compromises will need
to be made (less weight, and/or smaller engine, etc.) which will
result in less capability and I'm not sure the average truck buyer is
going to go for the resulting product, especially at the additional
cost.

--
                                          -Jon-