Re: RE: OT Question: 97 Jeep trouble code

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 12:01:04 EST

--- "Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@dodgetrucks.org> wrote:

> Jeep issue: Check the vacuum hoses and caps at the
> manifold. Make sure
> there's no leaks/cracks in them. $35 water pump and
> an over-tensioned belt?
> Is this a 4.0L? On the code 51, once you cleared
> them PCM, you'll need to
> drive it for a while for the monitors to run. It's
> not a "instant on" code
> as it takes a while for the adaptives to learn. No,
> bumping the starter
> won't cause that code.

OK I checked all the vacuum hoses and they all appear
to be in good shape and nothing is leaking. I used a
small plumbers torch to aim propane at all the
connections and caps and I didn't hear the RPM pick up
any.

The engine in the Jeep is the 4.0L and the shop she
had install the pump 2 years ago got the pump from
Napa locally and they charged her over $60 for the
pump. When she asked about it, they told her the pump
only had a 1 year warranty. The pump I got at AZ is a
lifetime warranty part so if it fails again, I'll only
be out the cost of some new anti-freeze plus my time
to swap it out.

I did some more research after I posted last night and
from what I can tell code 51 may be related to the
pre-cat O2 sensor. If that O2 sensor is bad, it could
explain the PCM trying to correct a lean air/fuel
mixture and cause a rich smell at the exhaust as well.
I told my GF she needs to drive it for a while and if
the check engine light comes back on, I'll check it
again and see if I get the same code. If I do, I'll
have to verify the code with a code reader and
probably swap out the O2 sensor.

Thanks for the input Bernd, its great to have you as
an asset to call on for issues like this and I really
appreciate you help and information.

> Dak issue: $450 labor charge is a bit low as book
> time is 6 hours (about
> $600 with average labor rate and shop charges
> included). Ask the shop if
> they'll install a "customer supplied" heater core
> and honor their labor
> warranty. Make sure you check the heater core
> before you give it to them
> though - fill it up with water and let it sit for a
> few hours - see if there
> are any leaks in it.
>
> - Bernd

I called 4 shops locally. 2 gave me a price around
$600, one told me $70/hour and however longs it takes.
The 4th gave me the price of $450. I even asked if
that included purging and re-charging the AC system
and was told yes. I also asked them if they would
warranty their labor work if I supplied the part and
they said yes to that as well. Its a 90 day warranty
on the labor but that should be enough to know if its
gonna be ok.

Thanks for the tip about filling the new core up and
letting ti sit for a few hours. I hadn't thought of
that but it sounds like a reasonable precaution given
the amount of labor involved if it does leak after its
installed.

Thanks again Bernd!

Ray