RE: RE: OT Question: 97 Jeep trouble code

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 12:55:05 EST

--- "Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@dodgetrucks.org> wrote:

> Yup...not a problem. :)
>
> On the O2 sensor for the Jeep, if it has over 65-70K
> miles on it....replace
> it.

You're kidding right? ROFLMAO!

The Jeep is a 97 with, as of last night when I changed
the water pump, 179,535 miles on it. I have no idea if
the O2 sensors have ever been changed. I know when I
moved out here with my GF in Apr of 06, she had just
replaced the starter and the water pump. I started
doing routine maintenance on it in Jul of that year
and it had about 158,200 miles on it then.

Something else I just noticed this morning when she
left for work with the Jeep. I had revved the engine
last night when I was warming it up to purge the
cooling system and this morning, the driveway had a
spot where the exhaust hits the ground that is just
caked with carbon. Looks like I blew something out of
the engine but I have no idea why it would have
started so suddenly. I did run a can of Seafoam
through the fuel system, but that was last summer. I
gotta believe its been cleaned out way before now.
This vehicle does take regular road trips. Sacramento
and back at least 4 times a year. That's a 300 mile
round trip ride. We go to Reno and back every other
month or so, another 175 mile round trip. I do know
that this morning when she started the engine, it
sounded like it was running smoother then it was last
night. Guess its just something I have to keep an eye
on and see if the check engine light comes back on.

On my Dak, I still have the factory O2 sensors in it
and it has over 150K miles on it. I really can't
complain about any problems I may have starting on the
Dak. Other then routine maintenance items, plugs, cap,
rotor, wires, brakes, etc. I've not had to put any
money into it.

Thanks again, Bernd!

Ray