Re: OT: Boyd Coddington of American Hot Rod passed away

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 20:42:09 EST

--- jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> When I saw the title
> of this post, the
> first thing I thought was "heart attack", but I
> wonder if this has
> anything to do with the Tulsa, OK '57 Plymouth?
>
> For those who may be unfamiliar with it, the city
> of Tulsa, OK
> buried a brand new Plymouth Belvedere in 1957 as a
> time capsule to be
> dug up in 2007. Unfortunately, they were really,
> really, *really*
> stupid about the way they did it and the car
> basically spent 50 years
> underwater. It was a complete basket case when they
> brought it up.
> Although an actual Mopar guy had been scheduled for
> the event (Herb
> McCandless, I believe), Boyd Coddington was called
> in at the last
> minute by the still stupid City of Tulsa because of
> his higher name
> recognition. Boyd and his crew basically did the
> work of getting the
> rusty hood and trunk open, getting into the
> interior, etc. I heard
> that his entire crew got really sick from the toxic
> soup that the car
> had been bathing in. Makes me wonder if his health
> problems had
> anything to do with that.
>

> --
> -Jon-

Don't know Jon. I hadn't heard about the crew getting
sick after being in close proximity to the 57
Plymouth. One of the news reports I read said he had
taken a fall shortly after Christmas and wound up in
the hospital for a little while. Then, a few days
after his release he was complaining of continuing
symptoms and was re-admitted for some additional
tests. He had an unspecified surgery after the tests
and passed away suddenly yesterday morning.

As far as the show goes, I believe a lot of that was
pure Hollywood. Yes he had problems in business and
tried some slick deals. He got caught, pled guilty to
misdemeanor fraud and paid his fine. All of that in no
way takes away from his ability to creat awesome
looking machines. He had his hand in a lot of projects
and the entire hot rodding community has lost a great
person.

Ray