Re: Hazy headlights...

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 20:57:01 EST

On Sunday 02 March 2008 06:15 pm, Steve Preston wrote:
> Hey! The headlights on our Jeep GC are getting really
> crappy looking. They're not yellowed,but they are hazy
> with fine scratches.

Assuming that they're plastic, and smooth, if I were going to try something
like this, I'd start with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet), or maybe 800 if
they're really bad. I'd step up from 800, to 1000, then 2000. That, with some
elbow grease should take out the big scratches.

>From there, I'd move up to plastic polish. Novus #3, #2, then #1. Rub each of
these out with a fresh terrycloth rag, following the directions. These will
take out the fine hazy scratches you can see, but can't feel.

> I have been doing some research
> online to see what I could find out about hazy
> headlights,and apparently there are "repair kits"
> available.

Never bought one. I assume they contain essentially the same stuff, just under
other brand names.

The other thing you could try (which could destroy the lens, so I'd save it
for a last resort, or maybe only if you already have replacements on hand) is
flame polishing them. You'll have to remove them from the truck, clean them
*really* well, since you don't want to embed any surface grit in the lens.
Then quickly pass a torch flame over the surface. The idea is to melt the top
layer of the plastic, allowing it to smooth itself out, without heating it
too much causing it to deform or bubble.